June 16, 2009

Mistresses of Our Own Destiny

For me, one of the best parts of striking out on my own with my lovely business partner Jen has been the immediate and profound sense of excitement at being the mistresses of our own (now somewhat shared!) destiny.

Freedom, oh sweet freedom, how I savor you! Admittedly, it is quite rewarding to have eliminated the words “morning commute” from my vocabulary. And having my kitchen at my disposal is decidedly a major perk. But other factors, too, are proving sweet. My dining room table has proven quite the fertile ground for brainstorming, for one. We make quite the picture with our dueling laptops staring each other down, tap-tap-tapping away. Here, Jen and I can laugh and strategize (and laugh some more) with total abandon — no worries that we’re disturbing anyone other than two rambunctious kittens.

And yet, while each of these new workplace benefits is worth its weight in gold, none can compare with the delight I’m finding in spreading my wings and exercising my professional leadership. After more than a decade of working under the tutelage of seasoned communications professionals, I was more than ready to strike out on my own. Now that we are immersing ourselves in the innumerable practical and strategic considerations involved in launching a new company, each day brings new reminders that this is the path for me.

And now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to put another loaf of artisan bread in my oven to fuel my afternoon endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment