December 3, 2009

Confess-o-meter

I have a confession to make.

I don't really watch TV.

Disclaimer: It's not exactly true to say that I don't watch television, period. I do tune in to the Daily Show whenever I remember to do so... (Oh Jon Stewart, how I adore you.) And my Mad Men predilections are well-documented. It's just that...my evenings do not routinely involve turning on the television.

Digression: This was aptly illustrated last night, when I did, in fact, turn on the television with my children to watch Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. At the first commercial break, a look of horror came over my four-year-old's face and she wailed at the sudden and cruel disappearance of the show. It quickly became apparent that she does not know what a commercial break is.

So is all of this just awful of me to confess as a marketing professional? Shouldn't I be immersing myself in pop culture, after all? Don't I need to tune in to keep up with the latest trends in advertising and branding? Well, actually, no, not at all. I do just fine via the Internetz and other media consumption, thankyouverymuch.

And of course I do have Jen to fall back upon in case I need someone with more authentic broadcast cred....at least when it comes to the NFL, anyhow. (Uh, go Colts?)

No comments:

Post a Comment