July 20, 2009

Mad Men 2.0

Welcome to advertising, baby.

These were the thoughts running through my head while pulling myself out of bed the morning after my first big, successful pitch. Brain slightly fuzzy from lack of sleep (and perhaps a glass or two of champagne), I wandered into my hot pink bathroom, brushed back my bangs, and gave the mirror my best Don Draper non-smile. Mad Jen, I thought. The wordplay was delicious.

Over here at Crazy Savvy, Inc., Management is very fond of a certain television show (and, it should be admitted, a certain leading man). Does life imitate art, or art imitate life? We think both. Mad Men is brilliant not only for spectacular acting, art direction, writing, historical detail, and mood, but also for its remarkable accuracy in depicting life in The Biz. From pitches to late night creative concepting sessions, Mad Men captures both the glamour and the challenges of life in the ad industry. And while plenty of things have changed since the early 60's -- we can wear jeans to the office, not a calf-length skirt; we don't smoke like chimneys and drink Scotch like fiends; and most assuredly no one gets away with calling me "sweetheart" or asking me to make them a photocopy or cup of coffee just because I'm a woman -- the fundamentals of the business remain largely the same. Creativity, and success, hinge on the ability to take risks, inform your decisions with strategic vision, and make your case persuasively.

So when we mavens of Crazy Savvy are off to a big pitch or presentation, we like to ask ourselves, what would Don do? Are we prepared? Confident? Well dressed? (But of course.) Do we stand by our creative direction, our copy, our ideas? Can we explain our approach in light of the client's needs, image, and audiences? Because from Madison Avenue ca. 1960 to Hennepin Avenue ca. 2009, from Manhattan high society to La Belle Vie's five course tasting menus, from Sterling Cooper to Crazy Savvy ... what makes a good Mad Man (or Woman, as it were!) stands the test of time: audacity, creativity, strategy, courage, and -- when in doubt -- a flawlessly cut suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment