April 7, 2010

Sweet Satisfaction (or Grant Writing 101)

Ah.

Excuse me for a moment while I savor the satisfaction of a deadline met (with time to spare, even). A major federal grant proposal is signed, sealed, and delivered. OK, it was actually submitted electronically through grants.gov, but that's not nearly as poetic a process as you might imagine...

Perhaps you did not know this, but Crazy Savvy offers grant writing right along with our core capabilities in strategy, branding, creative services, social media, and copywriting. I don't think it is particularly common for a creative agency to offer grant writing services—but then, at Crazy Savvy it's never been our goal to be common. With a background that straddles branding, publications, and nonprofit development, it's a natural for me to include grant writing in my repertoire.

Plus, there's this: I really like grant writing.

Grants may not be as sexy as creating a flashy billboard, but I find them equally rewarding—and every bit as creative. Grant writing, at its purest, is where the art of storytelling meets strategy. I've always approached grants from a writer's perspective. Each grant is an opportunity to draw the reader into your organization's story. It gives you the chance to construct a prima facie argument in support of your mission, to answer each reader's question before it even surfaces.

The more stringent (and dare I admit, sometimes even arcane) limits proscribed by grant guidelines, the richer my creative challenge. Page limits and checklists of required elements? Bring 'em on!

Beyond the writerly joys, grants give a writer the opportunity to dig in deep and learn about new issues and topics. This is innately rewarding to the lifelong learner in me. Occasionally, it is an exercise in irony, as well: To wit, a recent project found me researching the educational potential of video games....while fending off near-incessant requests from a certain eight-year-old in my life to purchase a video game system. Thank goodness he didn't find my stack of research or I would be doomed!

I also enjoy the deadline driven nature of grant work. Some may call deadlines a cruel mistress, but they do offer a heady adrenaline surge as all the little pieces of a project come together. And a sweet, satisfied exhalation once the deadline is met.

Like right about now.

Aaaah.

No comments:

Post a Comment